geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS/FEEDBACK] Usability improvements to Geronimo
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:35:22 GMT

On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>
>>> Can you be more specific here?  What operations and how does a
>>> message
>>> make things any more dynamic?  Is this a web console only concern
>>> or is
>>> it also a command line concern?
>>
>> Yes. Let me give you an example. Recently I was deploying a
>> configuration. For a while the wheels turned and then I received an
>> operation successful message. However, the deployment had spewn a
>> boatload of stack traces to the geronimo.log file.
>>
>> In another example, the Websphere App Server shows informational
>> messages as an app is being deployed. That is quite reassuring to an
>> administrator.
>>
>> For now, this is a console-only concern.
>
> The console already provides this type of feedback while installing
> a plugin.  Downloading JDBC drivers using the db wizard provides it
> as well.  It should be pretty straightforward to use that same ajax
> widget to show progress info in the deployment portlet if that's
> desirable.  I can't really think of any other console actions that
> take a non-trivial amount of time to complete.  Maybe start/stop
> components in some cases.

I think more important than dynamic feedback is accurate feedback on
whether the operation failed.  Maybe things have gotten better lately
but my expectation honed through years of frustration is that to
really find out if a console operation succeeded I have to look in
the cli console or logs for the pages of stack trace that were
suppressed in the admin console.

thanks
david jencks