geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Distribution and start/stop of clustered deployments
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:10:36 GMT

On 13/11/2007, at 4:35 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Gianny Damour wrote:
>> 2. The clustered store uploads the backed configuration to the
>> registered cluster members, which subsequently locally install
>> them. If
>> the "remote" installation fails for one of the members, then the
>> clustered store removes the configuration from all the members having
>> successfully installed it so far.
>
> So if one server fails, the clustering is fully disabled?  Can you
> please explain if I got this right?  If so, this seems a bit heavy
> handed.  I would more expect that particular server to be removed from
> the cluster as opposed to shut down everything.

You can successfully "distribute" when all the configured cluster
members are running. If one of them is down, then the installation
fails. This seems to be a typical scenario - at least based on the
clustered deployments I have been working with. Hence this is the
simplest implementation possible for this initial stab of clustered
deployment. Furthermore, as I explained in my email, there is a
carbon copy of the already backed configuration within the master-
repository and it is trivial to: either improve the GBean in charge
of the remote control of configurations; or to add new GBeans in
order to automatically upload this carbon copy to cluster members
which were not running upon installation.

Also, you still need to honor my request for heads-up :). If you are
working on clustering, then could you please provide some headlines?

Thanks,
Gianny