geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Should we move the framework assembly into framework?
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:31:50 GMT

David Jencks wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> Moving the boilerplate and framework assembly into framework might
>>> make it simpler to see how to construct custom servers and check that
>>> the framework assembly only has what it should inside.
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I'm ok with it in either location.
>>
>> If it is moved then it would be valuable if we could modify the build
>> to automatically include everything under configs in the assembly.
>> That way there would be no doubt that it included exactly what should
>> be in framework.
>
> That might not be appropriate.  In fact I think we should trim the
> framework assembly further by removing the geronimo-gbean-deployer
> config.  _Maybe_ we can assemble all the configs in framwork with the
> bootstrap gbean deployer..... in which case maybe your idea would work.
> I think the most important thing about the framework assembly is to keep
> it small :-)

No doubt that we want to keep it small.  I just just trying to come up
with a way to prevent errors when removing things from the /framework
directory but leaving them in the assembly and vice-versa (to ensure the
framework assembly only included what was necessary).

IIUC, the purpose of the /framework directory is to contain only core
items required for the framework assembly.  So if we could build the
assembly based upon the plugins in /framework/configs we should have
just what we need.  We can still trim the size by moving items from
/framework/configs to /plugins which (if automated) would result in
removing the plugin from the framework assembly.

... just an idea ...

Joe