geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Changes needed to the website upon PRC communication
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:04:50 GMT
Hi All,
the Apache PRC has sent a communication to all PMC's about how we (I mean Apache projects
in general) "thank" sponsors for their contributions to the projects on the project's website.
This type of acknowledgment is not considered official from Apache, in fact gets in the way
for promoting the official ASF Sponsorship and Thanks! programs.

Going to a more concrete example on our website, we have a "Powered By" page. This page has
a misleading title for a start; we have been carrying this one along for a very long time
and I doubt it is up to date anyway. The "Powered By" page provides a list of companies rendering
services and support for Apache Geronimo. So, at a minimum, we should change the page title
to something more representative.

The other acknowledgment we have is with "Graphics by Epiq", these are folks who got voted
for their designs when we overhauled the website and console. This one falls into the same
category as the "Powered By" page for which the PRC communication seems to be specifically
targeted to.

The Search box also shows "Powered by Google Search", however this might be a different case
as this is an indicative of the type of search the user will actually run -> external Google
search on the Geronimo site.

I just added the official "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links to the Community menu box
on the left as instructed in the PRC communication. We still need to determine how to deal
with "Powered By" and "Graphics by Epiq". The former should be at least renamed if not removed
altogether, the latter should be removed I think.

To summarize, here are the things we need to look at

- Add "ASF Sponsorship" and "ASF Thanks" links (it's done)