geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject GShell 1.0-alpha-1 update
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:18:55 GMT
Folks, I've halted any significant changes to GShell so we can push
out a stable release for Geronimo to consume in the next week or so.
Right now it is pending some dependency releases:

  * plexus-cdc-anno
  * plexus-component-annotations
  * maven-remote-resources-plugin
  * groovy-maven-plugin
  * cobertura-maven-plugin

I've got the ball rolling on each of those and with a wee bit of luck
and probably a healthy dose of pestering folks, we should get all of
these resolved to facilitate the first *official* GShell release... yay!

I'm hoping to get GShell 1.0-alpha-1 out in the next week or so,
really as soon as the deps are published I will start the ball
moving.  I could use a little help in the mean time for things like
legal oversight and anything else I might have missed to help make the
vote+release as smooth as possible,  So if you have a few minutes
spare it would be nice if you could build the tree and poke around a
bit er something.

Should be as easy as:

     svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gshell/trunk
gshell
     cd gshell
     mvn install

and to test the shell, something like:

     gunzip -c ./gshell-assembly/target/gshell-*-bin.tar.gz | tar xf -
     ./gshell-*/bin/gsh
(and then just make sure that the 'help' command and 'exit' work
should be sufficient probs).
If ya find anything please file blocker issues for 1.1-alpha-1 here:

   * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GSHELL

And I'll get it sorted out ASAP

  * * *

I've got a lot of plans to improve the plugability (and extensibility)
of the shell as well as tidy up some of the GShell (BASH-like) syntax,
get the remote shell muck stable and get some scripting examples up
and running too... but I have to get this release out first before I
can continue as those are relatively destabilizing changes.

Lastly, a wee shout out to folks that have been in active with
da'shell...

  * David Jencks - Your insight is, IMO, invaluable... and I really
appreciate you taking to time to poke around and enjoy the bliss which
is GShell :-P
  * Jason Warner - I really appreciate the extra pair of eyes (well,
and patches too), don't be afraid to laid down some pimp ideas or
rants, whatever, I don't bite, no matter what you might have heard :-P

And... well, to the rest of you too.  GShell has been a dream I've had
er since back in the dark days, and its really starting to becoming
something useful.  So thanks for giving my vision a shot to thrive
(and well, ya know... kick ass) :-)

Aight, more to come later...

Cheers,

--jason