geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to switch web service providers?
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:26:23 GMT
I made the plugin system support the condition expressions we've been
using to select a web service container but I can't see how to make
it work usefully so I wonder if we need a new approach.

Previously the conditions for axis2 and cxf we different in the jetty
and tomcat servers, so cxf was on by default for jetty and axis2 for
tomcat.  However now these conditions are specified in the axis2 and
cxf deployer plugins, so when installed they are going to be the same
for jetty and tomcat.  I guess we could come up with yet more
complicated expressions that took into account whether we are on
jetty or tomcat but this seems like its getting ridiculous and we
need another way.

Here are a few ideas.

1. More assemblies.  I don't think anyone really wants this.

2. gshell commands to set the web service container.  I guess we
could run this on say the tomcat assembly to switch it to axis2
before we pack it up.  Well, actually we could use this so we only
ship one server and use such commands to turn it into a jetty or
tomcat server.

3. gshell commands to remove sets of unneeded plugins: this would
more permanently convert a server to axis2 or cxf only.  However I
think this is fairly appropriate.  Again this could be used to get
all non-framework servers out of one big distro.

4. gshell commands to download and install specific servers starting
from framework.

I'd actually like the gshell commands for 2,3,4 anyway but I'm
wondering if any of them will actually provide a good solution for
this problem.

thoughts?  Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks