Yes, this is quite unfortunate, and I can tell you that this is one of the issues where there was much discussion in the EG and in the groups of people trying to influence JSR 14.  The bottom line is that the chosen implementation of generics works without any changes to the JVM, and that code compiled with generics could theoretically be run with and older JVM.  In practice this kind of backwards compatibility doesn't work anyway because of the bytecode version burned into class files by a JDK 1.5 compiler.  But as allways these decisions are piled up agains a lot of different technical as well as political issues...

Kresten