geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: config.xml changes
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:54:15 GMT

On Oct 31, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> I'm having a difficult time understanding the changes to
> config.xml. Can somebody help me out?  How do things work now,
> where are they headed, and can include optional items for users
> still via comments?
> I apologize if I missed a dev post about the changes already.
>

> I was used to config.xml in the source for each assembly that
> included things like:
> - it was formatted to be easily read
> - it included items which were commented out to help users making
> common changes.
> - I know it didn't include a complete list of the all the gbeans
> but it had most of them that a user might need to touch.
>

> Now:
> - config.xml it no longer exists in src for each assembly.  I
> assume it is generated via the build.  Does it use info in the pom
> for the assembly to create the target config.xml?

It's assembled from the snippets in the geronimo-plugins.xml
> - it is not formatted so it's a bit more difficult to read.
We probably need to use jaxb to read-write it to solve this one.
I'll look into this.
> - it does not include comments or tips for the user on how to
> enable/disable function - it would be nice if we could get some of
> that get that back.
Maybe we need to put the comments into the geronimo-plugins.xml for
each plugin?
> - Finally, I don't see all the same content in there that we had
> before.  For example, I was looking for TomcatEngine gbean but I
> don't see that in the config.xml for the tomcat-javaee5 server in
> trunk.  On the other hand, I see a GBean def for TomcatWebContainer
> that wasn't in the 2.0.2 config.xml.
I thought I constructed the geronimo-plugins.xml content by copying
the appropriate stuff from the old config.xml.  I might have missed
something.  In any case by editing the plugins' pom (the source of
this config) you can get the gbeans you want into config.xml.

thanks
david jencks