geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: System Module descriptions
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 06:28:08 GMT

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> On 10/3/07, Ted Kirby <ted.kirby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cool!  I wrote a (cough, cough) perl script to generate wiki markup
>> for a table from the data in the configs/*/pom.xml files, and updated
>> the wiki page with it.  I then produced a merged table to compare
>> existing pom descriptions to the ones I had entered.  I'd like to get
>> further input, store updated descriptions in the pom.xml description
>> element, and then I think it makes sense to generate a page from the
>> pom.xml data.  There appear to be two attributes for each that would
>> be nice to capture in doc:  whether the module is initially started,
>> and whether it should *never* be started.  I wonder if any sort of
>> attribute could be added for capturing this in pom.xml?
>
> IIUC,  are you wondering if we should add attributes in the pom.xml
> that will say whether this configuration is initially started or
> should never be started ?
>
> Other than for updating the wiki, will this attribute be useful for
> anything else ?

I think there's already an attribute for whether the plugin gets
started: otherwise we'd be running the client plugins in the server.

"never start" is a misnomer.... it might be "never start in the
normal server".... if you really never start it ever then you can
just leave it out :-)

I'm wondering if there's a way to have the plugin descriptor direct
its customizations to a particular kernel configuration: server
configs going into config.xml, artifact_aliases, and config-
substitutions, client configs going into maybe
client_aritifact_aliases, etc etc.  If there's a way to make this
work then a more accurate description of "never start" would be "not
part of the server".

So I'd like to wait with the "never start" attribute until we figure
out if this is practicable.

thanks
david jencks