geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Make <useMavenDependencies> default true ?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:44:52 GMT
2 replies in one go :-)

On Oct 8, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>
>> Can we make the c-m-p use the maven dependencies by default ? 58 of
>> the 95 configs already use the maven deps. There are approx 15-20
>> configs that need to be converted to plugins. Odds are we'll end up
>> with 75% of our configs using maven deps. Thus we should consider
>> using the maven deps as default.
>
> +1, can this setting can be inherited from the parent project like
> the other settings such as source-repository currently are?  see
> configs/pom.xml and plugins/pom.xml

we can do this as soon as all the existing configs have been
converted to using really using the c-m-p to generate the geronimo-
plugin.xml.  Before that I believe we will get into big problems,
which is why I didn't do it in the first place.

>> Also, by default, it should merge the maven deps with the explicit
>> deps, IF ANY are specified in the c-m-p configuration. I don't see a
>> use case for this now, but if there ever is a need to use both maven
>> deps and an explicit list, this will let us achieve it.
>
> +1, one use case would be when you want to use the
> <import>services</import> environmental setting for a plugin
> dependency.  I was trying to do that earlier today but it didn't
> seem to work right.

I don't really understand the behavior you are proposing here.
Currently you have a choice between including all the maven
dependencies with <import>all</import> or explicitly specifying all
the dependencies you want with the import you want.  If you
explicitly specify the dependencies in the c-m-p config section each
one has to be a maven dependency as well.

What exactly are you proposing to be different here?

>> Lastly, the exisiting <useMavenDependencies> parameter can be used to
>> specifically exclude the maven deps. This will include only the
>> explicit deps in the c-m-p configuration.

would this match the current behavior when you explicitly configure c-
m-p dependencies?

> settings inherited from the parent projects can be overridden.

Is this relevant to the preceding?  I'm not seeing how yet.

I'm a little leery of more configuration choices than are absolutely
necessary.  I wonder if we could get by with one behavior, namely
always using the maven dependencies with import type all unless the
import type is overridden in the c-m-p config.  Are there any cases
this wouldn't work for?

I think we'd still want the include version flag.

thanks
david jencks