geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r588500 - in /geronimo/sandbox/jetspeed-integration
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:55:32 GMT

On Oct 26, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> This jetspeed integration is coming along nicely!  Very promising
> work.
>
> Instead of introducing a MBE that automatically configures the
> webapp for jetspeed based on the presence of WEB-INF/portlet.xml
> can we look into allowing jetspeed to handle its own deployment via
> placement in its hot deploy directory?   When a war is placed in
> that directory jetspeed processes the portlets internally and then
> handles deploying the war to the app server.   i.e. the portal
> recognizes the WAR as a special kind of app and handles the extra
> deployment steps, not the application server.

I think that what Prasad is doing is a better way :-) (which is why I
suggested it).  How would a portlet app plugin work with hot deploy?
imho magic hot deploy directories are really out of line with the
whole geronimo modularity philosophy and I would support removing the
hot deploy functionality we have (well, I know that wont happen, but
I'd still support it).

I was hoping that the pluto portlet app deployment would work in the
same way with an MBE.

> I have a hunch that trying reverse that paradigm or somehow wrapper
> the deployment responsibilities of jetspeed from within an MBE
> could prove to be confusing to jetspeed users, difficult to
> implement correctly, and very sensitive to the jetspeed version.
> And like Donald pointed out it would interfere with other portal
> apps that might be deployed in Geronimo like Liferay, uPortal,
> Pluto (the admin console), etc.

I think we should look into selecting the portal to deploy to based
on something in the geronimo plan if we really need to support
multiple portals running at once.  If we don't, building a portlet
app into a plugin for a specific portal could be handled by
specifying the desired portal MBE car in the plugin's pom.

thanks
david jencks