geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributing AspectJ JARs - License
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:15:55 GMT

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Yes: I would like to add this dependency from the Eclipse
> Foundation to a config so that it gets included in the assemblies:
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>aspectj</groupId>
>             <artifactId>aspectjrt</artifactId>
>             <version>1.5.2a</version>
>         </dependency>
>
> My understanding is that the AspectJ tools are provided under the
> "Eclipse Public License Version 1.0" license: http://
> www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
>
> At this stage, I would like to simply change the licensing files of
> the config:
> * mofify the NOTICE.txt to include a one liner pointing to the EPL;
> and
> * add a LICENSE-EPL-V10.txt, which is a CC of http://
> www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html.
>
> However, I am not sure that we can include AspectJ jars in the
> assemblies.

Hi Gianny,
It's fine to include EPL-licensed binaries. EPL-licensed source code
would be a problem, however. FYI -- an overview of OS licenses and
categorization with regard to Apache projects can be found here --
http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html

I would prefer that you not create a separate LICENSE-EPL file. We
currently aggregate all license information in our LICENSE.txt file.
I'd prefer that we maintain this practice until we change our
handling for all 3rd party licenses.

The NOTICE file needs to inform users how to obtain aspectj source
code (this is a provision of the EPL). Typically this is accomplished
with a url to the project web site.

Although the geronimo-wadi module would conceptually "contain" the
EPL-licensed artifact, it's actually the assembly that contains the
artifact. So, updating the license/notice files in the configs/
geronimo-wadi directory would not be appropriate. Instead, you need
to update trunk/LICENSE.txt (and NOTICE.txt) as well as trunk/
assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate-minimal/src/main/underlay/LICENSE.txt
(and NOTICE.txt).

--kevan