geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r588500 - in /geronimo/sandbox/jetspeed-integration
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:34:54 GMT
This jetspeed integration is coming along nicely!  Very promising work.

Instead of introducing a MBE that automatically configures the webapp
for jetspeed based on the presence of WEB-INF/portlet.xml can we look
into allowing jetspeed to handle its own deployment via placement in
its hot deploy directory?   When a war is placed in that directory
jetspeed processes the portlets internally and then handles deploying
the war to the app server.   i.e. the portal recognizes the WAR as a
special kind of app and handles the extra deployment steps, not the
application server.

I have a hunch that trying reverse that paradigm or somehow wrapper
the deployment responsibilities of jetspeed from within an MBE could
prove to be confusing to jetspeed users, difficult to implement
correctly, and very sensitive to the jetspeed version.   And like
Donald pointed out it would interfere with other portal apps that
might be deployed in Geronimo like Liferay, uPortal, Pluto (the admin
console), etc.

Best wishes,
Paul