geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Plugin progress
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:47:15 GMT

On Oct 1, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> Does this list of problems still exist ?

see comments inline
> Cheers
> Prasad
> On 9/11/07, David Jencks <> wrote:
>> I've now updated enough of the configs so  we can see if we can
>> assemble them into a server.  It would be great if some one else
>> could take a look at some of the remaining ones, list at the end of
>> this email.  To get your own list of un-cleaned-up configs build g,
>> fire it up, and run search-plugins from the command line deployer:
>> the <no category> ones aren't done yet.

this list of uncategorized plugins that need attention is still valid.
>> To provide a more reasonable sized testbed for assembling servers out
>> of plugins I also shrank geronimo-framework to the minimum possible
>> size: rmi-naming plus enough security to enable the command line
>> deployer to connect to it.
>> So, while some parts of plugin installation work, overall it
>> doesn't.  I keep seeing plugin installation pull in the wrong version
>> of jars and cars and sometimes not find jars that are present in the
>> local maven repo.
>> Here are the problems I've noted so far, in order of discovery:
>> 1. While reviewing config poms I saw some suspicious dependencies.
>> Axis and Axis2 depend on openejb which subverts any attempt to run
>> axis web services on a minimal server.  The openejb-deployer requires
>> openejb to be running which subverts any attempt to deploy offline
>> while another server is running on the same machine (port conflicts).
I think this is entirely resolved by now.

>> 2. Figuring out which repository to look in doesn't work yet.  While
>> what is specified in the geronimo-plugin.xml and geronimo-plugins.xml
>> does appear to be honored, using these isn't compatible with
>> developing and testing plugins, since while a plugin is being worked
>> on you want to use only your local repo but after its published you
>> don't (unless perhaps its is hooked up to some kind of maven proxy)
>> I wonder if  having a "default" repo configured in the plugin
>> installer system would work, or perhaps merging the repos at the end
>> of geronimo-plugins.xml with those in each geronimo-plugin.xml.
this is less of an immediate issue, I added the remote maven central
repo in and now most things are found, but the problem of moving from
"I'm developing this on my machine" to "its published at this repo"
remains and I don't have any good ideas.

>> 3. version resolution appears to have some serious problems.  I think
>> pretty much all of the geronimo-plugin.xmls contain versions for
>> every jar (something I'm hoping to change) but I ran into a lot of
>> problems.  First most of the artifacts got resolved to the 2.0.1
>> released artifacts which didn't work because the car files didn't
>> have valid geronimo-plugin.xmls in them.  After I removed all my
>> 2.0.1 artifacts things were slightly better until I got to something
>> that wouldn't resolve at all, xbean-reflect 3.2-SNAPSHOT.  The jar is
>> in my local repo but for some reason it wasn't found.

Most or all of these problems went away when I added maven central
repo in.  The problems were mostly caused by missing maven-
metadata.xml files: this prevented finding snapshots or resolving
dependencies that lacked a version.
>> 4. I am doubting more and more that the current "requires" and
>> "obsoletes" data are appropriate. For instance, most of the web apps
>> "require" jetty (or tomcat, pick your flavor).  IMO this is the wrong
>> idea.  If I want to install one of these web apps, it should install
>> the web server if it's not already present.  What I think is more
>> appropriate would be if I'm trying to install a jetty web app and
>> tomcat is installed it should complain: if no other web server is
>> installed then it should install jetty for me.

I still think these are highly questionable.
>> 5.  Trying to extract information about what went wrong is really
>> hard and unpleasant.

maybe I got used to this one :-)
>> 6.  With the CTS configs that happen to be on my machine, there are
>> 93.  This is a lot to wade through.  We need a better way of
>> organizing them, at least on the command line.  Perhaps providing a
>> list of categories to pick from, then the plugins from that category,
>> would be more manageable.  Also a "deploy this from this maven repo"
>> command would be good: this might exist but I haven't found it yet.

I think that's related to the install-plugin command :-)  Better
categorization would still be helpful.

hope this helps
david jencks

View raw message