geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jetty jee5 assembly broken in branches/2.0
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:45:26 GMT

> Jarek,
> Thanks for tracking this down.
>
> 50 threads per connector seems like overkill to me. It's dependent on
> application behavior. So, hard to predict... But I would consider
> lowering the per connector thread count. I won't argue with
> increasing the thread pool size, however...
>
> I also think these WARN messages are a bit less useful than they
> ought to be...

What number should we lower it to? 25? 30? Maybe we should consider
also having the AJP connector be disabled by default? It consumes lots
of threads but probably is not used most of the time.

Another thing I noticed that in ThreadPool.java the ThreadPoolExecutor
is configured with the same corePoolSize and maximumPoolSize. Which
means (if I'm reading the documentation right) that everytime you
submit a task to execute a new thread will be created until
maximumPoolSize threads are created. Also, setting corePoolSize ==
maximumPoolSize means that the idle threads will not be reclaimed. So
basically, we are not reusing threads until we have maximumPoolSize
threads running and we will never reclaim any idle threads. This seems
pretty bad to me especially since our pool is now set to 500.

Jarek