geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Jndi names, need input (Re: [DISCUSS] G 2.0.2 Release plan)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:02:51 GMT

On Oct 1, 2007, at 4:24 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I talked with david a bit on irc and he tells me there is a flag so
> we can set it so if there is a non-javaee jndi name conflict we log
> an error instead of throwing an exception.
>
> I'm happy with a simple default format for non-javaee jndi ejb
> names if collisions result in loud logging rather than exceptions.
> I'd like it to be possible for people only using javaee to deploy
> lots of copies of the same app without exceptions from name
> collisions, even if this means some random copy of the app wins in
> the non-javaee jndi.  If someone wants to do this AND use non-
> javaee jndi they should read the instructions and figure out a
> sufficiently complicate name format so they avoid collisions.
>
> IIUC the proposed simple name format above that one would be just
> fine.

Ok, I made the following changes:

  - Set the deployment id format to {appId}/{moduleId}/{ejbName}
(fixes GERONIMO-3199)
  - Set jndiname format to {ejbName}{interfaceType.annotationName}
(this MUST go in the release notes as it will be a significant change)
  - Setup jndi name binding of non-javaee clients to not fail a
deployment if a name is taken (just logs an ERROR as usual).

I also slurped in the OpenEJB documentation on this subject to a new
page here:
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSBOX/client-jndi-names.html

.. primarily because it didn't seem possible to include part of it
and have the updated Geronimo specific info that:
   1.  we won't fail the deployment on conflict and that this can be
changed.
   2.  the default openejb.jndiname.format is actually {ejbName}
{interfaceType.annotationName} rather than {deploymentId}
{interfaceType.annotationName}.  The openejb.deploymentId.format in
Geronimo is intentionally complex as to not have any conflicts.
   3.  the re recommended way to set a system property is likely via
the config.xml which we should show in this document.  Unless of
course we add a gbean property to OpenEjbSystemGBean, in which case
it's still via the config.xml but in a different way.

Anyway, this doc needs #3 to get updated and we also need to find a
place for it in one the main docco spaces for 2.0.2.

-David