geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Restructuring build for flexible server
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:26:20 GMT

Donald Woods wrote:
> I think we really need to find some way to break the specs into smaller
> pieces.  Having to install all of the JEE specs just for the simple
> minimal web container assembly is ugly and wastes disk space.

Well, we could have a config per spec ... but that might be a bit too
much.  I'm not sure what smaller organizations would look like.

We thought about breaking jee-specs up when we created the minimal
assemblies but at the time it didn't seem worthy of the effort.  Now
that we are getting closer to making the flexible server a reality
perhaps it is time.  But I'm still not convinced that it would be worth
the complexities it would bring and it doesn't consume a huge amount of
space.

Joe

> [...]
>>>
>>> To begin with I wanted to build just the modules and configs (along
>>> with the necessary buildsupport and  maven-plugins artifacts) that go
>>> into a framework assembly.I believe that if we effectively want to
>>> restructure the build tree to reflect the flexible server, then we
>>> should be able to build just the framework artifacts ONLY. The
>>> framework artifacts should not have a dependency on plugins artifacts
>>> because they are optionally choosen to build an assembly of choice.
>>>
>>> Also, if our strategic vision is to break down the tree into smaller
>>> projects for framework, plugins etc, this we should break this
>>> cyclical dependency too. See Jason's response here -
>>> http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=12460948&framed=y&skin=134
>>>
>>> First hitch - Our framework assembly contains jee-specs car. This car
>>> has a dependency on o.a.myfaces.core/myfaces-api jar. Either this is
>>> in a incorrect dependency which we don't need at this point or it
>>> might be truly needed here so that it gets in the classpath for later
>>> use. I commented this dependency out and proceeded to build jee-specs
>>> car. I strongly tend to believe that this myfaces dep is wrongly
>>> placed here. If it is really req'd then we have a bigger problem of
>>> fixing our classloader scheme.
>>
>> I don't understand the problem here and what you want to do.  We have
>> several other specs (from axis and jstl) that we don't build that are
>> included in jee-specs.  Is the jsf api different from these in some
>> way?  Do you want to remove the jsf spec from jee-specs or the
>> jee-specs from the framework assembly?  I remember having a lot of
>> classloader problems trying to get stuff to run and pass the tck
>> before we came up with the jee-specs module, but it might be possible
>> to split it up and put the jars with the implementations that use
>> them.  I think this will be difficult so I'd like to postpone that.
>>>
>>> Second hitch - Trying to build framework assembly's
>>> server-security-config car requires you to build j2ee-deployer. If you
>>> wish to build j2ee-deployer, it pulls in other j2ee-* modules and cars
>>> which in turn has a dependency on webservices. Slowly we are building
>>> more and more plugins which are optional artifacts.
>>
>> This is definitely a problem.  I think we can solve it with a
>> security-deployer config that has the security related gbeans from
>> j2ee-deployer in it.  What do you think?
>>>
>>> If we really have to build a lot of plugins just to build the
>>> framework artifacts, then there is little point in restructuring the
>>> build tree now or breaking the tree later.
>>>
>>> I have checked in the restructured code under sandbox/restructure. I
>>> have been able to do a bootstrap build thus far.
>>>
>>> To build this on your machine, take the following steps
>>>
>>> 1) begin with a good local repository for your trunk build
>>> 2) delete applications, assemblies, modules, geronimo, configs,
>>> plugins and mavenplugin dirs under .m2/org/apache/geronimo dir of your
>>> 4) mvn -o -Dstage=bootstrap