geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: J2G future positioning
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:47:16 GMT

Kevan Miller wrote:

> On 10/29/07, *Tim McConnell* <tim.mcconne@gmail.com
> <mailto:tim.mcconne@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, Does anyone have any thoughts as to how we'll position the J2G
>     plugin in the
>     future ?? I understand now that in its initial iteration that it is
>     narrowly
>     scoped to work for JBoss specific migrations only (thus the JBoss in
>     the name).
>     However, it seems if we want to eventually enhance it as a more
>     generic tool for
>     migrating multiple applications to Geronimo (which I would hope we
>     would), it
>     might be a good time now to reconsider a more generic and/or
>     appropriate name.
>     Any thoughts ??
>

> I think it's a good idea to call it a "migration tool". We definitely
> should not be using the name "JBoss". j2g would be ok (though i'd be in
> favor of a generic name).

I agree.  What's not to like about a generic migration tool to get
people on Geronimo even if the first version only works when you migrate
from JBoss? :-)

Personally, I'd still like to see the "2" in the name.  How about M2G
(Migrate to Geronimo)?  The problem with something like "Geronimo
Migration tool" or even just "migration tool" is that the direction
isn't clear and we definitely want it to be known that we're helping you
migrate to Geronimo.

Joe