geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) questions
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:08:57 GMT
Hi everyone, I have a couple questions I'd like to discuss about the Geronimo
Eclipse plugin:

1. How many versions of the Geronimo server should we continue to simultaneously
support in the Geronimo Eclipse plugin ??
2. What level of support should we provide in the Eclipse plugin for the
Geronimo 1.2 Beta ??

My thoughts and/or opinions are as follows (simply to start the discussions):

1. The plugin now has support for four Geronimo releases (i.e., 1, 1.1.1, 1.2,
and 2.0). I would like to support only three versions at a time. This would
still allow an upward migration path for people who want to migrate their
projects from older to new versions (which is apparently one of the major
reasons for providing support for multiple versions to begin with). I feel
though that support for only three versions at a time would facilitate a more
stable (and smaller) code base, it would mitigate some of the test scenario
permutations inherit with multiple version support, and ease the implementation
transitions from one release of the GEP to another. We've had and continue to
have difficulties supporting the Geronimo 2.0.2 deployment plans in the GEP,
which I'm confident will finally be rectified in the next maintenance release of
the GEP, but it's only exacerbated by supporting so many versions.

2. I would like to start to untangle some of the interdependencies we now have
with the various features in the plugin in the upcoming GEP  maintenance
release. I know very little about the Geronimo 1.2 Beta, but I get the sense
that it is more of a "one-off" rather than a nature progression from 1.1.1 to
2.0.x, and I just wonder though how much the 1.2 support in the plugin is really
being used. If it's not being used, I would actually like to remove the 1.2 Beta
code from the plugin in the upcoming maintenance release for the reasons I've
mentioned above.

Thoughts ??

--
Thanks,