geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DayTrader - porting MarketSummaryInterval changes from 2.0 to 1.2 and preparing to release
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:36:08 GMT

Christopher Blythe wrote:
> Actually, I'm suggesting we pull the web services out of DayTrader all
> together and write another web services sample app. If DayTrader is
> truly meant to be a "performance benchmark", why would you leave
> something in there that is in clear violation of performance best
> practices. Doesn't exactly send the right message if you ask me.

That really depends what you are trying measure.  Are you trying to
measure raw-throughput (ping servlet, etc), or are you trying to measure
how a JavaEE5 application using standard components is going to perform
(more realistic)?

IMHO, I think Daytrader is a neat application that lets you kind of
configure what you want to test and how you want to test it.  Its
interesting because I haven't seen anything else out there that does
this...it really is a good way to measure most components of a
standardized stack.

Jeff