geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Blythe" <cjblyth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DayTrader - porting MarketSummaryInterval changes from 2.0 to 1.2 and preparing to release
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:23:53 GMT
Matt...

Here are a few minor things that come to mind.

- Ensure license files, etc. are up to snuff
- Review readme files to make sure instructions are correct. For the J2EE
client apps, there should be
  some mention of setting the "endorsed" directory
- Make sure config changes are propagated to the web.xml

There is one major thing I wanted to mention. For those that haven't seen
it, Microsoft published a StockTrader benchmark based on Trade 6.1 (which
served as the basis for DayTrader). Here is a link for members of the list
to review.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/bb499684.aspx

They have used this benchmark to market .NET as a player in the SOA space by
publishing web services numbers using the web services mode available within
Trade/DayTrader (among other modes) that pit .NET versus WebSphere. For
those interested, please review the MS documentation and then read the
response from Andrew Spyker (on the WebSphere community blog) at the
following link.

http://webspherecommunity.blogspot.com/2007/09/perspective-in-benchmarks-my-thoughts.html

As Andrew Spyker suggests in the blog entry, the web services in
Trade/DayTrader are extremely fine-grained (avg. about 500 bytes/req) which
does not comply with just about every web services best practices document
I've ever read. Based on this, I would like to propose that the the web
services in their current form be removed from DayTrader.

I had mentioned this previously and met some opposition as several people
cited the web services within DayTrader as an functional sample of web
services. I completely understand the need to have a web services sample.
However, if you portray DayTrader as a performance benchmark (as I think we
should), we should make every effort to ensure that all modes within the
benchmark are designed with all best practices in mind. If Microsoft can do
this kind of "Bench-marketing" with Trade 6.1 and WebSphere, we should be
proactive and prevent them from doing the same with DayTrader and any other
J2EE vendor.

In summary, I guess I really just wanted to say that I feel the web services
modes in DayTrader should be removed at least until we can come up with
something better. If the only reason to keep these around is to provide a
"sample" and not a performance benchmark, lets come up with some other
sample that demonstrates web services.

Ok.... that's all for my rant.... any thoughts?

Chris