geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: System Module descriptions
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:54:16 GMT
Geronimo has a number of assemblies, including
geronimo-jetty6-javaee5, geronimo-jetty6-minimal,
geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5, and geronimo-tomcat6-minimal.  Each assembly
has a pom.xml and a config.xml (in its src/main/resources/var/config
directory) that determine its content of the possible configs.  Each
assembly's pom.xml configs dependency elements determine the
assembly's content.  All of the configs in the assembly's config.xml
(in its src/main/resources/var/config directory) are started, unless
they have a load="false" attribute.  Finally, any config required by a
config to be started is also started.  (An example here is
j2ee-system.  It's not in config.xml, but rmi-naming has a dependency
on it.  (Shouldn't some of these j2ee- configs be renamed to javaee?))

This mechanism determines the server's content, as well as which
configs are started when the server starts.  There are two additional
config.xml files in an assembly's src/main/resources/var/config
directory: jsr88-configurer-config.xml and
offline-deployer-config.xml.  It seems that the configs in these
config.xml files run in separate execution instances of
jsr88-configurer and offline-deployer, so that those configs would not
run in the server.  It is not clear to me why those configs would be
in the server, nor why they would show up in the deploy list-modules
command.  It seems that having them do so is only asking for trouble
if the administrator starts them.

The final set of configs to discuss is for the app client, which is
another separate execution instance from the server.  I have not been
able to find a config.xml or pom.xml file for it.

There are thus four entities with which a config may be associated:
  1.	server (many types here, but a server has a config.xml, unlike
the other entities)
  2.	jsr88-configurer (jsr88-configurer-config.xml)
  3.	offline-deployer (offline-deployer-config.xm)
  4.	app client (?  -- use client-corba-yoko as root?)

It seems that the notion of "started" is only applicable to server entities.

In terms of an automated way to generate a table of configs with their
description, entity association and initial start attribute:

  1.	Visit each config in the configs directory, gathering its
description and dependencies.
  2.	For each entity, consult its list of configs to determine
content.  For each config, insure that all its required configs are
included.

Ted Kirby