geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Promoting GShell to a real subproject
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:58:39 GMT

On Oct 26, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> I don't see why we shouldn't. But can someone more informed please
> list the pros and cons.

Here's my list:

Pro's

  * Easier for other projects to reuse GShell
  * Release cycle not tied to Geronimo server release cycle

Con's

  * Small overhead for being a separately released project --
documentation, release voting, etc
  * Separate source tree can complicate debugging (can make the
counterpoint that debugging GShell is easier...)

The Geronimo tx-manager components (transaction and connector) is
another example where we've done this. Note that prior to (or
concurrent with) voting on our last two releases, we've been voting
on a tx-manager release. Although it need not be that way, we're
falling into a lock-step release cycle...

I assume that Guillaume is interested in using GShell outside of
Geronimo. I assume that there will be others...

I'd support GShell as a subproject...

--kevan