geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DayTrader - porting MarketSummaryInterval changes from 2.0 to 1.2 and preparing to release
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:42:05 GMT

On Oct 3, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Christopher Blythe wrote:
>> Jeff... I agree with you on both counts. Perhaps I should present
>> this
>> from another vantage point. If you were an application developer,
>> would
>> you use web services in the manner they are currently used in
>> DayTrader?
>> Or would you try to adhere to most documented best practices and
>> steer
>> clear of very chatty (fine-grained) web services calls. If we
>> would like
>> to keep web services in DayTrader, I think they should be re-
>> vamped to
>> re-align with a scenario/pattern that is better suited for web
>> services
>> and reflect how they are predominantly used in the industry.
>>

> Yep...you are going exactly where I was ;-)
>
> If DT is not using WS the way it should be, then absolutely it
> should be
> redone and developed in a best practice manner.

well I'm confused now.... pingServlet is not a realistic imitation of
any real business operation, but it is useful to measure the overhead
of the web container.  Aren't our current dt web services pretty much
similar to pingServlet and measure the overhead of the ws stack with
no data processing taking place?  I think it would be useful to also
measure what happens if you send a realistically sized xml doc back
and forth while doing nothing with it, but the overhead with a
minimal xml doc seems useful to me also.  Similarly, we could (and
might.... I dont know) measure the overhead of sending a large form
and returning a complicated static page while doing no application
processing for the web container.

does this make any sense?

thanks
david jencks