geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jay McHugh <jdmch...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Question about plugin dependencies
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:01:31 GMT
Hi all,

I was wondering - is it possible to have a plugin that needs 'at least one of' or 'either
of' some other plugin?

For example, it is possible to use dojo loaded from AOL's content delivery network.  So, if
we made two versions of a Dojo plugin: One that has everything in it (the full Dojo WAR file
and sources) and the other that only insert whatever would be necessary to use the CDN copy
of Dojo.   Would it be possible to indicate that one or the other must be installed in order
to use the JNDI viewer plugin?

I am thinking again about reducing footprint (and Dojo in particular though it could be relevant
elsewhere).  So if someone had a situation where they knew that they would always be connected
to the internet you could install the plugin that just pointed to the CDN but if they were
not sure, then they could install the full local version of the plugin.

And I am also thinking about cases where the same functionality could be provided in two (or
more) distinctly different ways (Tomcat and Jetty?).  If we could indicate that you have to
have one or the other installed, but we didn't care which one then we could possibly reduce
the number of plugins that we provide because we wouldn't need to specifically follow both
paths with a 'Tomcat' version and a 'Jetty' version.  There would just be a dependency that
says you need one or the other.

Just some thoughts about how trunk's more pluggable design might make everyone's lives better
and easier.

Jay