geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Make <useMavenDependencies> default true ?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:51:19 GMT
On Oct 10, 2007, at 11:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:

>> <project>
>>     <artifactId>plugin1</artifactId>
>>     <dependencies>
>>            // a reference to plugin2 is not desirable here, don't
>>            // want maven processing it as a build time dep or
>>            // including its classes in the environment inherited
>>            // by car-maven-plugin
>>     </dependencies>
>>     <build>
>>         <plugin>
>>                 <artifactId>car-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>                 <configuration>
>>                         <dependency>
>>                               <artifactId>plugin2</artifactId>
>>                               <import>service</import>
>>                         </dependency>
>>                 </configuration>
>>         </plugin>
>>     </build>
>> </project
>>

> #0 is necessary to help maven build the modules in a correct
> order.  I believe we have successfully written the c-m-p so the
> maven dependencies have no effect on the c-m-p environment, only on
> the configuration that the c-m-p is "compiling" .  Basically the c-
> m-p fires up a small geronimo instance, and the root classloader of
> that geronimo instance is the root maven classloader, without any
> of the maven dependencies in it.  Then we load dependencies of the
> module we are constructing into this geronimo instance just like a
> standalone geronimo server does.  So, the only effect these maven
> dependencies have is to assure build order and to contribute to the
> geronimo module classloader according to the rules above.
>
> make sense?

Yes, makes sense.  I didn't realize that the c-m-p was intended to
behave that way because of a problem I was having using
<import>services</import> in the c-m-p configuration section.

When I included a reference to plugin2 in the main dependency section
the gbean deployer invoked by the c-m-p was still trying to include
plugin2's dependencies even though I overrode that dependency with
<import>services</import> in the c-m-p's configuration section (like
shown above).   That might actually be a problem with the kernel's
handling of service type deps though and it just surfaced to me
through the c-m-p.

Best wishes,
Paul