geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: New GShell-based Geronimo Server launcher now in server/trunk
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:09:56 GMT
Hiya folks... just a quick update on GShell muck...

I've been madly hacking on the remote shell support for the past week
and well, its really close to being functional.  I initially was
going to implement a POC over ActiveMQ but that was pissing me off
soo much that I decided to peek at what Jeff had done with GShell and
discovered how incredibly cool Apache Mina is!!  So I've based the
remote-shell client/server bits off of Mina and its working out
fairly well, though I had to go and learn about it (which was
actually fun-ish, sorta, okay not really so much :-P ).

Anyways, I've dug through GCache (which really did help me to
understand Mina) as well as some other Mina-based projects and I've
whipped up a fairly simple system (er I think so), which is
extensible supports TCP, SSL and VM (er well almost VM), so you can
do something like:

     ./bin/gsh rsh ssl://someserver:9999

or

     ./bin/gsh rsh tcp://someserver:9999

The same is true for the server side, to be able to accept these rsh
commands you could:

     ./bin/gsh rsh-server ssl://localhost:9999

or

     ./bin/gsh rsh-server tcp://localhost:9999

etc...

I've implemented a RSA-based client-server handshake (similar to what
gcache was doing, actually based on what it was doing) to support a
decent authentication mechanism.  Might eventually hook up some JAAS
crapo later, but... ya later.

Anyways, right now I'm trying to figure out some small problems with
the stream message passing and marshaling, which I hope to get
resolved really damn soon, cause this is fricken annoying me.  And
once that is sorted, a few minor clean up things and the rsh/rsh-
server bits should be functional enough to actually use.

More to come...

Cheers,

--jason