geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Some fixes for server/trunk for mvn site
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:22:15 GMT
I've updated some configuration in server/trunk to allow the site to
work with java 5 sources.

Its been, well months (or more) since I last tried building the
site... so I'm not sure what this could break, but I'm running a site
build now.

I think we may have to rollback to an earlier version of the site
plugin though... cause I think the latest one might be... well
insane... going to play with it a bit and make it work.

  * * *

On a very related note... we really should think of a nice way to
capture per-version documentation for our projects.  This isn't
something that Maven does for us out of the box for its site
generation muck, but there are simple ways to get around that.

Right now we are deploying Maven-generated sites up in here:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/

So, when the server's site is deployed it ends up here:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/

What I recommend is that we put a version in there, so we can publish
the site/javadocs/reports/whatever for 2.0 as:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/2.0/

and 1.2:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/1.2/

And for the latest bits we can use the snapshot name:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/2.1-SNAPSHOT/

And then simply setup a symlink so that this goes to the same place
(for less updates to the dev docs and such):

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/trunk/

  * * *

This is relatively simple to do and should really help out our users
a lot....

Basically in the top-level poms instead of using this:

     <distributionManagement>
         <site>
             <id>geronimo-website</id>
             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/geronimo.apache.org/
maven/server</url>
         </site>
     </distributionManagement>

We use use this:

     <distributionManagement>
         <site>
             <id>geronimo-website</id>
             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/geronimo.apache.org/
maven/server/${version}</url>
         </site>
     </distributionManagement>

Maybe one day the Maven site plugins will have a better framework for
supporting a multi-version site... like I'd like to see a <Version>
drop-down in the top-right corner so I can select the version of the
document I'm looking at, etc.

But, anyways... this has kinda been on my lists of things that should
get done... just well never made it near the top.

I recommend that the PMC as well as the rest of the community
consider making this change and implementing a general policy about
its usage for sub-projects and hopefully define some kind of
guidelines as to how sub-projects publish their documentation.

Developers love good docs... and they shouldn't have to dig for
them... so, lets hand it to them on a silver plate...

--jason