geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: New GShell-based Geronimo Server launcher now in server/trunk
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:11:39 GMT
Aighty, I've converted *all* of the assemblies to include the new
GShell-based server launcher goodness.

I'm still working on cleaning things up and adding more features to
the core GShell bits.  And some things I'm going to change in direct
response to how we end up integrating it into Geronimo.

I've already hooked up a custom GShell branding instance which helps
change the default welcome text/help text/version muck to be Geronimo
specific (and not GShell specific).  This is the first real usage of
GShell being used to support another application (um, the server) so
I imagine that I'll (we'll) learn a little bit about that and
refactor the branding bits as we go along.

  * * *

I did a few things... first, I've changed the boilerplate modules to
use the assembly module for most of the heavy lifting.

And then I've put in the same structure that was in my POC assembly
into everything.

So that means that everything now has these additional goodies:

*Scripts

     bin/gsh
     bin/gsh.bat
     bin/start-server
     bin/start-server.bat

* Boot Jars

     lib/boot/gshell-bootstrap.jar
     lib/boot/plexus-classworlds-1.2-alpha-10.jar

* Runtime Jars

     lib/gshell/ant-1.7.0.jar
     lib/gshell/ant-launcher-1.7.0.jar
     lib/gshell/geronimo-commands-2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
     lib/gshell/groovy-all-1.1-beta-2.jar
     lib/gshell/gshell-cli-1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT.jar
     lib/gshell/gshell-embeddable-1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT.jar
     lib/gshell/jcl104-over-slf4j-1.4.3.jar
     lib/gshell/slf4j-log4j12-1.4.3.jar

* Configuration

     etc/gsh-classworlds.conf
     etc/gsh-log4j.properties
     etc/layout.xml
     etc/META-INF/plexus
     etc/META-INF/plexus/plexus.xml

* Example RC bits

     etc/rc.d/start-server,default.groovy

And if you run the shell once, then you'll also find this:

     var/log/gshell.log

I've left all of the other goodies there for now too, so for example
these both should do very similar things:

     bin/start-server
     bin/geronimo run
     bin/gsh -q start-server

  * * *

I'm not sure if I broke anything in the process, so I'd really
appreciate it others could look this stuff over and provide some
feedback.  I probably did break something... (sorry)... but I can't
tell at the moment due to the tree not being buildable.

Remember I'm still whacking bits out... but if you think of something
you want/need that is related, please send mail (to the list should
do as long as the subject looks gshell-ish).

My goal is to get *all* of the command-line bits for the server to
run through GShell, and use that experience to tighten up the
framework and hopefully provide some simple documentation to allow
other projects to easily consume the GShell for their application
needs.  And in the process of doing all that I'm going to get that
'remote-shell' command stuff working at least as a minimal
prototype.  Might need to ping the network gurus for help after the
proto is working to finish up the design and make it truly kick ass :-)

Anyways... email for any reason.  Aighty?

Cheers,

--jason