geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: [Discuss] What next?
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:56:13 GMT
On 31/08/2007, at 10:12 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Clustering
>
> IIUC we have a lot of partial  clustering solutions.  For instance
> there's WADI, native tomcat clustering, a terracotta integration,
> and IIUC Jeff has been working on a clustering solution (my
> apologies if I left any out).  I'd like to know where these efforts
> are in terms of actual functionality and reliability and what they
> can be extended to do.  We also need some kind of cluster admin tools.

Hi,

As a response to this query, I have quickly created a couple of WIKI
pages, http://docs.codehaus.org/display/WADI/Home, in order to
capture some of the technical aspects of WADI.

WADI's core functionalities are:
* group communication API - Reliable: cluster membership update
notifications; various message exchange patterns; and interception of
exchanged messages. Tribes is the actual group communication
libraries used under the cover of the WADI API. An in-vm
implementation is also provided for testing purposes.
* HttpSession migration - Reliable: if a session is hosted by a node
and an HttpRequest requesting this session is received by another
node, the session is migrated to the node receiving the HttpRequest.
* HttpSession replication - Reliable: each session is replicated to a
configurable number of peers so that the session can be recreated if
the node hosting the session dies.
* Persistence of HttpSessions between node restarts - Reliable
(Derby, MySQL, Postgres): sessions can be stored into a database
between node restarts.
* Distributed service infrastructure - Reliable: any class can be
registered as a distributed service, which can then be invoked and
monitored by clients on other nodes. More accurately, clients can
create dynamic proxies for a distributed service. Methods executed
against dynamic proxies are wrapped within messages and sent through
the group communication infrastructure. Methods can be made one-way;
method return values can be aggregated; Timeouts can be configured;
Targeted peers can be selected. Clients can also monitor distributed
services: they can received notifications when a distributed service
starts, stops or fails and retrieve the peers hosting the distributed
service.
* Singleton service infrastructure - Reliable: WADI can manage a
singleton service.
* Administration console - Reliable (deployed to standalone Jetty and
Geronimo 2.x): very basic admin console to browse cluster components.
* Partial replication of any objects - under progress: instead of
replicating the full session state each time that a session is
updated, only the updated fields are replicated. So far, delta
replication is working as long as the session is not migrated.

Prior the cut of the branch 2.0, I was working on a
ClusterAwareConfigurationManager which will coordinate deployment,
e.g. distribute, and managements, e.g. start, across multiple nodes.
I put it on hold as 2.0 was being cut. I think now is a good time to
restart this implementation.

Thanks,
Gianny