geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Splitting up the server into a few more chunks
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:18:30 GMT
On Aug 6, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> Anything more than 6 to 8 groupings could cause chaos (just like at
> our current release process which takes weeks to get everything
> voted and released...)
> After cleanup of server to move the samples to /samples and
> ApacheDS to /plugins, we should consider the more drastic changes,
> like moving the base Admin Console support (via Pluto 1.2) out to /
> plugins and start moving the Portlets into the actual modules/
> configs that they administer....
>
> Some other "grouping" that may make sense are -
> - core - renamed /server/modules directory promoted to a top-level
> grouping and only contains server modules
> - configs - current configs, which can be installed as plugins

I'd really like to see the grouping of just configuration modules go
away.  I firmly believe that configuration modules should live right
next to the code modules for which they are configuration for.

> - assemblies - current assemblies, which require the configs as input

I'd like to see the main assembly configuration split off from the
server/core/whatever stuff.  Actually, I'd like to see the core/
framework as a sub-project, then have the server sub-project server
only to configure the plugins to be pulled in and the assembly
configurations for the javaee server distributions.

--jason