geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Plugin stuff
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:00:27 GMT
I think the plugin installer stuff might be pretty much functionally
complete.

In the plugin-config.xml you can specify bits of config.xml,
artifact_aliases.properties, and config-substitutions.properties.  I
think this might be enough installation stuff to build a server.

The car-maven-plugin now:

- constructs the geronimo-plugin.xml and processes the plan.xml.
- dependencies can be from the maven dependencies with or without
versions (all compile and runtime dependencies in the current pom are
included)
- or dependencies can be explicitly specified in the c-m-p
configuration.
- bits like name, descriptions, licesnes, url, moduleId are derived
from the pom with normal maven inheritance.
- everything else in the geronimo-plugin.xml is derived from a
template in the pom.  There are 2 of these: a commonInstance you can
put in a parent pom that provides defaults, and an instance that you
put in the pom itself.  Collections in the instance replace rather
than add to stuff specified in the commonInstance.  Both of these
follow the plugin-artifactType but you can leave out xml namespaces.
Don't have more than one of instance or commonInstance in any
sequence of pom ancestors: maven interpolation doesn't work on these
and will break whatever you are trying to do.

- when you build a car, the plugin will update ~/.m2/repository/
geronimo-plugins.xml with the new geronimo-plugin.xml information.

- to construct an entirely new geronimo-plugins.xml in your local
maven repo run
mvn org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:create-pluginlist

I've set the default repo list to include this in the local maven
repo for the jetty javaee assembly on osx.  I'd like it if someone
with a windows setup could test if it works on windows as well.  Then
we can update the tomcat configuration.  To test, update and build
trunk, start the jetty javaee server, and on a separate console
window run java -jar bin/deployer.jar search-plugins

You should see the local maven  repo listed and if you select it you
should see all the cars in the server listed.

The stuff in the admin console works a little bit but still needs
some TLC from someone with a clue about UIs.

thanks
david jencks