geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] What next?
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:37:36 GMT
Oh, one more thing which I think is also critical path for the health
of the server and its community...

LOGGING REFORM

We've talked about this here and there, most folks agree we need to
reform our logging usage... but so far its yet to happen.  It is a
fairly simple task IMO, but its huge, since it pretty much touches
almost everything.  But its something that can be easily staged and
then divided up amongst the surfs (and lords) for code weeding.

IMO, we need to...

1) Decide on slf4j or commons-cli
2) Define a general logging usage policy
3) Implement said policy on existing logging usage
4) Improve, add, augment, whatever, existing logging to be more
useful (for users and developers)

For #1 I'm obviously for slf4j... for a few reasons which I've
outlined in previous emails.  I list this as the first step, as if we
do go for it, then it has some slight impact on the policy and
implementation work (like its varargs support instead of requiring
log.isDebugEnabled() guarding).

IMO, this is low handing fruit, which we can easily pick and which
our users (and developers) can feast upon the juicy flesh of... yummy.

--jason