geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: XML Schemas
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:52:22 GMT
> The idea is to ease development from IDE's that will pick up the schemas right away.
Not sure the redirect would work for these scenarios.

Well, let me give a specific example.  Let's say you have a web app's web.xml:

         version="2.4">
</web-app>

The namespace is "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee" and the schema URL
is "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd" -- they are
different.  However, if you declare them like that in the web.xml
header, any IDE ought to be able to find the schema based on the
xsi:schemaLocation attribute.  So it's not strictly necessary to make
the path on the web site match the namespace to get your IDE to work.

Thanks,
      Aaron

> I tried the aliases, just a couple of symbolic links, but then realized about the different
directories for the schemas so I was hoping there would be another way (maybe a maven plugin)
that would to the job.  Apparently there isn't.

> I guess I'll get back to the alias work for now until we figure out a better way to do
this.

> Cheers!
> Hernan
>
> Aaron Mulder wrote:
> > I'm not that big a fan of trying to make the schema namespace be an
> > actual working URL.  Should the schema's namespace end in ".xsd"?
> > That seems weird.  Plus we have no control over the location for many
> > of the schemas we use (other projects we use, the Sun schemas, etc.)
> > And it might result in us scattering our schemas across several
> > directories on the site, which over several releases could get quite
> > messy.
> >
> > In contrast, we can point to the correct URL in e.g. a comment at the
> > top of the schema, and any file using that schema can include an
> > attribute pointing to the specific URL for the schema.  But I guess I
> > don't feel super-strongly, other than that I think the main navigation
> > for the site ought to always let you get to a listing of the pertinent
> > schemas.
> >
> > Another possibility would be to just set up aliases or redirects so we
> > can file the schemas where we want and then make the namespace URLs
> > forward or redirect to the actual schema files for additional
> > convenience.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >        Aaron
> >
> > On 9/25/07, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >> trying to deal with the schemas update on the web site and I'm looking to some
things I would like to get your input.

> >> First of all the actual schemas file name don't match the target name space
defined in the schema itself.

> >> Here is the associated JIRA ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3425
). This is mainly for updating the web site but I think it would be more clear for everybody
to have matching names anyway.

> >> Is it feasible/practical to have the schemas file names match the name space?
> >>
> >> Second, in order to have the schemas available on a target's name space matching
URL (http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns ...) we need to have and maintain up-to-date copy a
the schemas on the web site trunk.

> >> We currently have the schemas scattered all over the server trunk. Last time
Jarek manually copied the files over but clearly this can not be a manual task.