geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: XML Schemas
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:58:06 GMT
I'm not that big a fan of trying to make the schema namespace be an
actual working URL.  Should the schema's namespace end in ".xsd"?
That seems weird.  Plus we have no control over the location for many
of the schemas we use (other projects we use, the Sun schemas, etc.)
And it might result in us scattering our schemas across several
directories on the site, which over several releases could get quite
messy.

In contrast, we can point to the correct URL in e.g. a comment at the
top of the schema, and any file using that schema can include an
attribute pointing to the specific URL for the schema.  But I guess I
don't feel super-strongly, other than that I think the main navigation
for the site ought to always let you get to a listing of the pertinent
schemas.

Another possibility would be to just set up aliases or redirects so we
can file the schemas where we want and then make the namespace URLs
forward or redirect to the actual schema files for additional
convenience.

Thanks,
       Aaron

> Hi All,
> trying to deal with the schemas update on the web site and I'm looking to some things
I would like to get your input.

> First of all the actual schemas file name don't match the target name space defined in
the schema itself.

> Here is the associated JIRA ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3425 ).
This is mainly for updating the web site but I think it would be more clear for everybody
to have matching names anyway.

> Is it feasible/practical to have the schemas file names match the name space?
>
> Second, in order to have the schemas available on a target's name space matching URL
(http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns ...) we need to have and maintain up-to-date copy a the
schemas on the web site trunk.

> We currently have the schemas scattered all over the server trunk. Last time Jarek manually
copied the files over but clearly this can not be a manual task.