geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jndi names, need input (Re: [DISCUSS] G 2.0.2 Release plan)
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:31:41 GMT

On Sep 28, 2007, at 8:40 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2007, at 3:40 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Sep 25, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I've noticed -- the default JNDI name for EJB's has
>>> been changed in OpenEJB. So, there is a compatibility issue with
>>> 2.0.1. We might be able to configure how OpenEJB generates this
>>> default to maintain backward compatibility. Better, IMO, to go
>>> ahead and match OpenEJB's behavior.
>>
>> There are no compatibility issues as it was explicitly set in
>> Geronimo 2.0.1 to be essentially {moduleId}/{ejbName}/
>> {interfaceClass}  (actually it's {deploymentId}/{interfaceClass}
>> and deploymentId will be {moduleId}/{ejbName}).  It'll still be
>> the same in Geronimo 2.0.2, just now it can be changed to
>> something shorter.
>>
>> I'd be fine with Geronimo using the OpenEJB default of essentially
>> {ejbName}{interfaceType.annotationName} (it's {deploymentId}
>> {interfaceType.annotation} where deploymentId defaults to
>> {ejbName}), but it's definitely a default that targets people with
>> just a couple apps.  People in bigger environments would have to
>> set the jndiname and deploymentId formats to something less likely
>> to conflict.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences on this one?  Need to
> get some input from the group.

My opinion on what to do depends a bit on whether this name format
can result in name collisions for javaee clients as well as non-
javaee clients.  My impression is that it can result in name
collisions for both if you pick a name format that is not
sufficiently unique.  Assuming this is true I would prefer to have a
default name format that minimizes the chance of name collisions
together with easy-to-follow instructions for those with only one app
or who can modify all their apps to avoid name collisions as needed.

thanks
david jencks