geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about geronimo-plugin.xml content
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:42:29 GMT

On Sep 6, 2007, at 12:52 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think we should start using the  maven-remote-resources-plugin.
> I will get to it eventually for sufficiently distant values of
> eventually...

:-) I would love to have license and notice file generation to be
automated. I have my doubts that it will work for a project with as
many diverse dependencies as Geronimo. The example you provide below
indicates that m-r-r-p (or the available maven meta-data
descriptions) is not ready, yet -- note the multiple occurrences of
"... developed by $project.organization.name
($project.organization.url)."

> My understanding which could be quite wrong is that any aggregate
> we ship is licensed under the asl2 only no matter what's in it and
> that this may limit what we can include in an aggregate work.

Our aggregate is not licensed solely under ASL V2. Far from it... We
develop source code which is, almost entirely, ASL v2 licensed.
However, our aggregate contains artifacts that are covered my
multiple licenses.  These licenses are "acceptable" for use within an
Apache product (as determined by our PMC).

I don't think Apache DS has done a very good job of indicating the
licenses that apply to their aggregate (at least in their noarch
distribution it's terrible). Looking at 1.5.1 unstable binary (i
couldn't find a "stable" binary), the apacheds-noarch/target/apacheds-
noarch-installer-1.5.1-app.jar contains the following license files:

ASL V2
Spring
SL4J
jzlib
JDBM (LICENSE.txt in a separate format from the other license files)

--kevan