geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r573772 - in /tomcat: sandbox/gdev6x/ trunk/
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:25:59 GMT
After voting to move tomcat/trunk to sandbox there has been some good
discussion about the development model for a new trunk, mainly
whether it will follow some form of RTC.  When a new trunk is created
I will ask them to reapply the annotation support patch and offer to
help if needed.  If Tomcat decides to use RTC then it's possible that
the patch won't receive enough binding votes but I'm optimistic that
there will be good support.  I don't expect there would be any
technical issues with it since it was actually developed against the
6.0.x branch, has passed TCK, and David and Remy worked through all
of the known issues as it was applied.  Filip has also been extremely
helpful and provides good insights for this type of thing.

As that discussion plays out we can continue to create a special
build of tomcat using the procedure described in https://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3206.   The only difference
being that the annotation support would need to be merged from tomcat/
sandbox/gdev6x onto their latest 6.0.x tag instead of merging it from
trunk.   Right now the Tomcat binaries used by Geronimo 2.x are kept
in SVN under geronimo/server/**/repository.  We'll probably need to
stick with that approach for a while anyway since the Tomcat team
(understandably) has had some reservations about publishing snapshots
of trunk, see
http://www.nabble.com/please-publish-a-snapshot-tf3850372.html

Another possibility would be to investigate whether the basic
annotation support provided in the already released versions of
Tomcat 6.0.x could be adequate for Geronimo's needs.  As I recall we
had that working at one point but it had some limitations.

Best wishes,
Paul