geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Plugin progress
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:13:35 GMT
I've now updated enough of the configs so  we can see if we can
assemble them into a server.  It would be great if some one else
could take a look at some of the remaining ones, list at the end of
this email.  To get your own list of un-cleaned-up configs build g,
fire it up, and run search-plugins from the command line deployer:
the <no category> ones aren't done yet.

To provide a more reasonable sized testbed for assembling servers out
of plugins I also shrank geronimo-framework to the minimum possible
size: rmi-naming plus enough security to enable the command line
deployer to connect to it.

So, while some parts of plugin installation work, overall it
doesn't.  I keep seeing plugin installation pull in the wrong version
of jars and cars and sometimes not find jars that are present in the
local maven repo.

Here are the problems I've noted so far, in order of discovery:

1. While reviewing config poms I saw some suspicious dependencies.
Axis and Axis2 depend on openejb which subverts any attempt to run
axis web services on a minimal server.  The openejb-deployer requires
openejb to be running which subverts any attempt to deploy offline
while another server is running on the same machine (port conflicts).

2. Figuring out which repository to look in doesn't work yet.  While
what is specified in the geronimo-plugin.xml and geronimo-plugins.xml
does appear to be honored, using these isn't compatible with
developing and testing plugins, since while a plugin is being worked
on you want to use only your local repo but after its published you
don't (unless perhaps its is hooked up to some kind of maven proxy)
I wonder if  having a "default" repo configured in the plugin
installer system would work, or perhaps merging the repos at the end
of geronimo-plugins.xml with those in each geronimo-plugin.xml.

3. version resolution appears to have some serious problems.  I think
pretty much all of the geronimo-plugin.xmls contain versions for
every jar (something I'm hoping to change) but I ran into a lot of
problems.  First most of the artifacts got resolved to the 2.0.1
released artifacts which didn't work because the car files didn't
have valid geronimo-plugin.xmls in them.  After I removed all my
2.0.1 artifacts things were slightly better until I got to something
that wouldn't resolve at all, xbean-reflect 3.2-SNAPSHOT.  The jar is
in my local repo but for some reason it wasn't found.

4. I am doubting more and more that the current "requires" and
"obsoletes" data are appropriate. For instance, most of the web apps
"require" jetty (or tomcat, pick your flavor).  IMO this is the wrong
idea.  If I want to install one of these web apps, it should install
the web server if it's not already present.  What I think is more
appropriate would be if I'm trying to install a jetty web app and
tomcat is installed it should complain: if no other web server is
installed then it should install jetty for me.

5.  Trying to extract information about what went wrong is really
hard and unpleasant.

6.  With the CTS configs that happen to be on my machine, there are
93.  This is a lot to wade through.  We need a better way of
organizing them, at least on the command line.  Perhaps providing a
list of categories to pick from, then the plugins from that category,
would be more manageable.  Also a "deploy this from this maven repo"
command would be good: this might exist but I haven't found it yet.

thanks
david jencks

    <no category>
   Geronimo Configs :: Welcome app Jetty
         8 :  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Unavailable Client Deployer
         9 :  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: GBean Deployer
         11:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Shared Library
         12:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: System Database
         13:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Application Client Deployments
         14:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: J2EE Client transaction
         15:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: CLI Upgrade
         16:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Unavailable EJB Deployer
         17:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Plan Upgrade
         20:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Shutdown
         21:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 JAR Configurer
         23:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Welcome app Tomcat
         24:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Corba J2EE Client
         25:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Client System
         26:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 EAR Configurer
         27:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: GBean Deployer Boostrap version
         28:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 DeploymentFactory
         29:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Servlet Examples for Tomcat
         33:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 CLI
         34:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: J2EE Client
         35:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Unavailable Web Services Deployer
         36:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: UDDI Tomcat
         37:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: Servlet Examples for Jetty
         38:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: UDDI Jetty6
         39:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: J2EE Client Security
         40:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 RAR Configurer
         43:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)
   Geronimo Configs :: JSR88 WAR Configurer
         45:  (2.1-SNAPSHOT)