geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about geronimo-plugin.xml content
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:45:12 GMT
On Sep 1, 2007, at 8:34 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> What I can set up automatically from the pom uses the info there,
> which I think is more appropriate.  I get
>
>     <url>http://geronimo.apache.org/</url>
>     <author>The Apache Geronimo development community</author>
>     <license osi-approved="true">The Apache Software License,
> Version 2.0</license>
>
> I think it would be more appropriate to put the stuff about the
> dojo organization in the description or in some additional optional
> "content-author" type elements.
>
> thoughts?

I put that vendor related info into the metadata thinking it would
help automate the creation of pages like:
http://geronimoplugincentral.org/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=29

But giving it a second thought I agree that those fields should be
used for the plugin itself rather than what is "inside" the plugin.
<content-author> might work OK, or to facilitate usage like the page
referenced above, and some other interesting scenarios, we could
introduce an element that provides information about embedded
components.   For example:

<name>Dojo plugin for Jetty</name>
<url>http://geronimo.apache.org/</url>
<author>The Apache Geronimo development community</author>
<license osi-approved="true">The Apache Software License, Version
2.0</license>
<embeds>
      <name>Dojo Toolkit</name>
      <author>The Dojo foundation</author>
      <version>0.4.2</version>
      <url>http://dojotoolkit.org/</url>
      <license osi-approved="true">BSD and Academic Free License
v2.1</license>
</embeds>

This <embeds> element is different from the <prerequisite> and
<dependency> elements because it describes something that is actually
inside the plugin.

Best wishes,
Paul