geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Questions about geronimo-plugin.xml content
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:31:44 GMT

On Sep 6, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2007, at 12:52 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I think we should start using the  maven-remote-resources-plugin.
>> I will get to it eventually for sufficiently distant values of
>> eventually...
>
> :-) I would love to have license and notice file generation to be
> automated. I have my doubts that it will work for a project with as
> many diverse dependencies as Geronimo. The example you provide
> below indicates that m-r-r-p (or the available maven meta-data
> descriptions) is not ready, yet -- note the multiple occurrences of
> "... developed by $project.organization.name
> ($project.organization.url)."

saying "including problems that haven't been overridden yet" was
supposed to imply that these are fixable through additional
configuration so you wouldn't say that :-)  I'm not sure where these
particular ${}'s came from since when I converted apacheds to use the
m-r-r-p I thought I got rid of all of them.

>> My understanding which could be quite wrong is that any aggregate
>> we ship is licensed under the asl2 only no matter what's in it and
>> that this may limit what we can include in an aggregate work.
>
> Our aggregate is not licensed solely under ASL V2. Far from it...
> We develop source code which is, almost entirely, ASL v2 licensed.
> However, our aggregate contains artifacts that are covered my
> multiple licenses.  These licenses are "acceptable" for use within
> an Apache product (as determined by our PMC).
>
> I don't think Apache DS has done a very good job of indicating the
> licenses that apply to their aggregate (at least in their noarch
> distribution it's terrible). Looking at 1.5.1 unstable binary (i
> couldn't find a "stable" binary), the apacheds-noarch/target/
> apacheds-noarch-installer-1.5.1-app.jar contains the following
> license files:
>
> ASL V2
> Spring
> SL4J
> jzlib
> JDBM (LICENSE.txt in a separate format from the other license files)

I don't understand this so I'll stop talking about it.  I'm not sure
the m-r-r-p will be useful for assemblies but I think it will work
fine for jars and cars.

thanks
david jencks