geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release Geronimo 2.0.1 (rc1)
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:27:26 GMT
Hernan,  what you are seeing is expected and is a side effect of the
way that we test release candidates [1].  For a given geronimo
release there are three parts of the plugin system that need to be
tested:

1.) the plugin installer
2.) the plugins
3.) the plugin catalog

Right now the 2.0 plugin catalog points at the 2.0-SNAPSHOT plugins
because those are the only ones available in a public maven repo.
This allows us to test if #1 (the plugin installer) can do its job
correctly.  And as you have found the plugins are downloaded and
installed correctly.

But in order for us to properly test #2 and #3 we need for the
plugins to be deployed to a maven repo.  Here is a chicken and egg
problem, because the plugins are not deployed until the release
candidate has passed its vote.  So, unless we decide to change our
plugin infrastructure to be less dependent on maven, or change the
way we test release candidates we will need to sometimes overlook the
type of error you saw where the plugin is downloaded and installed OK
but it won't start due to some incompatibility with the server.  I
try to remember to point out during a vote that some plugins (which
are usually SNAPSHOT) may not work in the release candidate [2].

After a release candidate has passed its vote and its plugins are
deployed I usually update the catalog to point at the "real"
plugins.  The catalog is maintained online at geronimo.apache.org, so
we can update that outside of the release process.  But there is a
bit of finger crossing going on here since the plugins themselves are
part of the officially released bits and have already been
deployed.   If they don't work then we may have to crank out another
release or remove them from the catalog.

So far we have considered the risk of releasing broken plugins as
necessary due to the amount of overhead in the release process [3].
As some aspects of our server such as the console move towards
relying on the plugin system for core functionality we may need to
revisit what's in the release candidate and/or how we vote on it.

Best wishes,
Paul

[1] http://www.nabble.com/1.2-Fit-and-Finish-tf2543870s134.html#a7114633
[2] http://www.nabble.com/-DISCUSS--Geronimo-2.0-%28rc1%29-Release-