geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Server monitoring and management
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:33:17 GMT
Erik,  this is some very interesting work.  Thanks for posting all
these details.

Like Anita's comment in GERONIMO-3441, I'm wondering whether or not
it would make sense to implement these new capabilities more tightly
with the JMX capabilities already in the server.  I don't have her
depth of knowledge to follow on all the details, but from a
conceptual point of view I do tend agree with her.  All that console
refactoring you mentioned is still a work in progress.  But FYI I
included the JMX viewer in a "debug views" plugin [1] that also
contains those other dojo based viewers (classloader, dependency,
JNDI, and LDAP).    Given the amount of additional capabilities that
we could add around the JMX view (i.e. the work you have described
here) I think we could actually make it part of a separate management
plugin instead.

On a related note, for some time I have thought it would be cool to
have a Hyperic plugin for Geronimo.  It would provide many of the
capabilities you have described.  From a technical point of view I
think its possible because its uses j2ee as its runtime framework,
but there may be non-technical issues someone could point out.  If
there's interest we could look into collaborating with them on a
plugin as part of the investigation you have described below.

One more thing -- I don't know if its within the scope of this work,
but I think it would be very useful we could also think about
providing some generic way to manage and configure clusters in
Geronimo.  Clustering technology is coming at us pretty fast right
now and our users are going to need some way to interact with all
those knobs and dials without cracking open a bunch of XML files.
Last I heard the Terracotta guys were working on a portlet for the
admin console.  Maybe they can suggest some functionality that can/
should be implemented in a generic way within a management view.

Best wishes,
Paul

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/debugviews