geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Splitting up the server into a few more chunks
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 03:03:53 GMT

On Aug 6, 2007, at 8:12 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I certainly agree with your goal but am less sure about your
> proposed naming and organization.  Also from looking at your list
> it took me a couple minutes to figure out what is removed from
> "server"
>
> I've been thinking that we could proceed by turning bits of the
> server into plugins.  For instance I was planning to turn the
> directory bits I commented out recently into a plugin this week.  I
> think we could fairly easiiy turn jetty, tomcat, and openejb into
> plugins.  I wonder if, after turning the "easy stuff" into plugins
> what we will think about reorganizing the remaining stuff.
>
> So then the question might be how to organize the plugins?

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I'd like to backup the
idea of pulling things out one at a time, like we did with connector
and transaction, making them plugins if possible.  It would be really
great if people do things like upgrade OpenEJB when a new release
came out -- which we're hoping is often.

-David