geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat connectors
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:55:22 GMT

On Aug 9, 2007, at 11:18 AM, threepointsomething wrote:

> I am quite new to Geronimo, so I am not sure if the steps I
> followed are
> right. Here goes:
>
> I had to ensure that the NIO connector is picked up in place of the
> basic
> HTTP connector, so I made the following change in
> configs\tomcat6\src\plan\plan.xml:
>
> &lt;gbean name="TomcatWebConnector"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.connector.Http11NIOConnectorGBean"&g
> t;
>
> I then rebuilt config\tomcat6\. When I started Geronimo, it picked
> up the
> NIO connector as expected.
>
>   Listening on Ports:
>     1050 127.0.0.1 CORBA Naming Service
>     1099 0.0.0.0   RMI Naming
>     1527 0.0.0.0   Derby Connector
>     2001 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB ORB Adapter
>     4201 0.0.0.0   OpenEJB Daemon
>     6882 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB ORB Adapter
>     8009 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector AJP AJP
>     8080 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector HTTP NIO HTTP
>     8443 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector HTTPS BIO HTTPS
>     9999 0.0.0.0   JMX Remoting Connector
>    61613 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector
>    61616 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector
>
> I then ran a sample comet application (WAR) that was executing
> properly in
> Tomcat and tried it in this instance of Geronimo. Seemed to work fine.
>
> I was wondering if there is a simpler way of configuring NIO
> without having
> to rebuild config\tomcat6. If so can you please suggest how I can
> do that?

Well, I expect we actually want to ship with the NIO connectors used
by default anyway, like we do for jetty.

However until we get there you can either turn off the BIO connector
and add a NIO connector in var/config/config.xml or turn off the BIO
connector in config.xml and add the appropriate connector to the
geronimo plan for your app.  You can add the NIO connector using the
admin console, but I think you need to turn off the BIO connector by
editing config.xml when geronimo is not running.  add the attribute
load="false" to the gbean entry for the BIO connector.

Hope this helps
david jencks