geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: removal of spring dependencies from cxf module
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:10:54 GMT

On Aug 25, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> From my standpoint, it would be greatly preferred if you could find
> a way
> to leave spring for CXF.   There is definitely a lot of functionality
> that would be lost if spring is not available.  In particular, if a
> user
> want to configure various things like message logging or
> WS-Addressing/WS-RM, https SSL keys, keep-alives and chunking, etc...,
> without the spring config, it becomes quite a bit harder.   For very
> basic usage, spring is optional.   But once you want some
> customizations, you really need it.

OK. First I've heard of loss of functionality... Is there loss of
functionality? Or things become harder without Spring? If things
become harder, an important question is who pays the price? The
embedder (i.e. us)? Or the user?

I have no real issue with our CXF server module requiring Spring.

I'm less happy if we're requiring that Spring be accessible from a
client application module to configure CXF web services client
capabilities.

I'm way less happy if we require the same Spring instance be
accessible from the CXF server module and the client application
module. This is the case, at the moment. I think this needs to be
changed.

> I suppose one option might be to document how to put spring back in if
> someone needs it.   We could then add more advanced thing to those
> docs
> like where to get the additional jars for WS-RM/WS-A/WS-Security, JMS
> transports, etc....   Kind of an "Advanced WebServices with CXF" type
> docs.

Can you point me to documentation on how a user configures this
functionality currently?

--kevan