geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [BUILD] Trunk: Failed for Revision: 570882
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:48:56 GMT
On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:11 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> You are very correct... :-)
>>
>> IMO slf4j is the way to go... drop JCL like a rock...
>
> Logback is LGPL, to be precise -- not that it makes any difference...

The docs for logback actually appear to suggest that developers use
slf4j anyways, and only use logback for the back-end processing muck.

> I haven't looked at sl4j. What are the motivations to switch?

It core jar dependency is smaller.

Its API includes support for context (Markers and MDC stuff).

Parameterized logging support... so instead of:

     if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
         log.debug("This is some important thingy: " + thingy);
     }

You can simply:

     log.debug("This is some important thingy: {}", thingy);

It does not suffer from classloader crapo like JCL... as you might
know, JCL is very picky about CL muck, and if you happen to have more
than one JCL jar on the CP (which can happen from time to time) it
becomes very, very unpredictable.  Nor does it eat memory like JCL.

Its also got some adapters to allow code that currently uses JCL or
log4j to get piped into slf4j so that everything can get tunneled
through the same logging mechanism very easily.

IMO, this is the way to go...  Not a huge change either, mostly a
global search replace on a few things, but we also need to do other
clean up of logging too, which would be ideal to do around the same
time.

--jason