geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r568632 - /geronimo/server/trunk/assemblies/geronimo-framework/pom.xml
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:20:06 GMT
On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:52 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I would like to see all the assemblies except the framework
> assembly be constructed by adding plugins to the framework
> assembly.  Just because there has been no progress on this goal in
> the last year...

I definitely agree with your vision here.  My main reservation with
taking on that line of thought was, like you said, the lack of
progress on the framework += customizations approach since the
zzzzj2ee-installer (sorry, bad joke).  To be fair though I should
acknowledge that we have been just a little distracted on that JEE5
thing.  :-)

There are some issues like how OSGI, xbean, and spring can/should/
will affect our framework and plugin strategy, and that hurts me poor
brain.  Good thing we have lots of clever people contributing to this
project.  Now is a good time to start those discussions and set our
sites on a new goal.   This is one I think we can all rally around
and contribute to in various ways.

> I think we are pretty close to having enough pieces lined up so we
> can actually do this, so I'm very definitely against removing this
> assembly.  We could remove all the others to
> spur on this process :-)

That just might do the trick!

Best wishes,
Paul