geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DRAFT Press Release (taking this forward to the PRC on Monday unless there are significant changes ... keep 'em coming)
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 02:37:10 GMT
Matt,

A few comments:

1) I We should say Apache Axis2 instead of just Apache Axis.

2) I liked the original first paragraph because it announced Geronimo
as Java EE 5 server which is really the most important bit of this
release. Therefore, I think the press release should start with that
and not with the web services bits.

Here's the text I propose:

=================

date/time/location—The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) announced
today the release of Apache Geronimo Version 2.0
(http://geronimo.apache.org). This release represents the latest open
source Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 application server from the Apache
Geronimo project, and continues the evolution of the Apache Geronimo
server by adding new features and capabilities to a fully compliant
and certified Java Enterprise Edition container suitable for
everything from a development environment to enterprise-level
deployments.

The newly released Apache Geronimo 2.0 breaks new ground as the first
Open Source Application Server to provide two certified JAX-WS Web
Services implementations: Apache Axis2 and Apache CXF. It also
introduces other new features such as simplified development, improved
diagnostics and flexible assemblies. Simplified deployment is
achieved.... (insert rest of the text)

================

Jarek

> I incorporated the good ideas I've seen so far.  Not sure if cross-posting to prc is
appropriate but seems to be working so far :)

> Ted, I like the change in ordering you suggested...seems to give us a bit more punch.
>

> ===== DRAFT =====
>

> Apache Geronimo Version 2.0 released by Apache Software Foundation
>

> date/time/location—  The newly released Apache Geronimo 2.0 (http://geronimo.apache.org)
breaks new ground as the first Open Source Application Server to provide two certified Web
Services implementations: Apache Axis and Apache CXF.

> Apache Geronimo 2.0 is the latest open source Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 application
server from the Apache Software Foundation, and continues the evolution of the Apache Geronimo
server by adding new features and capabilities to a fully compliant and certified Java Enterprise
Edition 5.0 container suitable for everything from a development environment to enterprise-level
deployments. Flexibility and choice, you have both with Apache Geronimo.

> Some of the new features are e simplified development, improved diagnostics and flexible
assemblies.  Simplified deployment is achieved through the use of standards based programming
model enhancements found in Java Enterprise Edition 5.0.  Here is a list of some of these
enhancements:

> - Streamlined development options provided with Java Enterprise Edition 5.0
> - EJB 3.0 persistence
> - A programming model that uses annotations to express developer defaults in the source
code

> Improved diagnostic capabilities include enhanced logging, class loader viewer as well
as JMX browser all available from the included console.  Change logging levels on the fly
as well as view existing logs with a set of filters.  Looking for a class and wondering where
it came from?  The class loader viewer let's you find them.  Want to see or change the attributes
for MBeans in the server?  The JMX browser allows you to navigate the MBeans in the server
in a simple tree format without having to hook up external consoles or third party products.

> Flexible assemblies are realized through the project's continued promotion of the "Little
G" Version 2.0—a lightweight container offering for projects that don't need the full feature
set of Java Enterprise Edition 5.0.  Perfect for web-service and SOA deployments, "Little
G" brings the modularity, manageability and extensibility of Apache Geronimo to a lightweight
assembly that is small in footprint but full of capability.

> This flexible, user-friendly, and easy-to-configure application server is built from
best-of-breed open source components and is fully licensed under the Apache Software License,
offering multiple benefits to organizations and their development teams. They can use Apache
Geronimo as-is or, if they so choose, create their own custom offerings without the restrictions
imposed by other Open Source licenses.

> Flexibility and choice, you have both with Apache Geronimo.
>

> The software can be downloaded for free from the Apache Geronimo web site ( http://geronimo.apache.org/).
>

> About the Apache Software Foundation
>

> The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal and financial support for
a broad range of open source software projects. The Foundation provides an established framework
for intellectual property and financial contributions, while simultaneously limiting contributors'
potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and meritocratic development process, Apache
projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities
of users. The pragmatic Apache License makes it easy for all users--commercial and individual--to
deploy Apache products. For more information on The Apache Software Foundation, please visit
http://www.apache.org/.

> Java, J2EE and Java Enterprise Edition are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun
Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks or registered
trademarks herein are property of their respective owners.