geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DayTrader streamer and web services clients terminate unexpectedly
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:54:45 GMT

On Aug 22, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Christopher Blythe wrote:

> All...
>
> I'm still working with the DayTrader streamer client and have run
> into another issue I cannot explain. Both the streamer and ws app
> client create Swing-based GUIs. I am in no way a Swing expert;
> however, all of the docs that I have read indicate that the GUI
> thread should remain up and running (along with the JVM) after main
> completes. Here is an example...
>
> public class JFrameExample {
>         JFrame f = new JFrame("This is a test");
>         f.addWindowListener(new ExitListener());
>         f.setVisible(true);
>     }
> }
>
> From what I have seen all Swing apps use some variation of this, as
> do the DayTrader streamer and ws app clients.
>
> Unfortunately, when I try to run these clients in under Geronimo
> 2.0.1, the apps terminate when the main thread completes. I have
> added a Thread.sleep() to the main just to verify that the GUI
> remains up while the main thread is still active.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the JVM is terminating with
> main while the GUI threads are still active and have not been
> closed? I've tried a SUN and IBM JVM and both result in early
> termination. The only thing I can think of is that something in the
> Geronimo client or the manner in which Geronimo packages the client
> that is changing the behavior.

I remember fixing this once....

My guess is that it got broken again when gianny added the bootstrap
repository.  A JIRA would be good I think.   I suspect if you look
around at the various command line classes you can see the code that
shuts down the client from a shutdown hook and see why it isn't
getting used.

I'll try to find some time to take a look at this if you don't beat
me to it.

thanks
david jencks